FOSNA Initiates Open Letter to Pope
On Ash Wednesday, FOSNA delivered an Open Letter to Pope Francis signed by over 200 bishops, clergy, members of religious orders, and theologians asking the Pope to speak out against the targeting and systematic abuse of Palestinian children by the Israeli military.
Signatures will be delivered to the Pope before his May 2014 pilgrimage to the Holy Land.
Why has FOSNA taken this initiative?
FOSNA initiated this Open Letter in the hope that Pope Francis will speak out for the people of Palestine as he has boldly spoken for the poor and oppressed elsewhere.
For three generations, violence against Palestinian children has been perpetrated with impunity as Israel has continued its belligerent occupation and illegal colonization of Palestine. These abuses have been well documented by numerous Israeli, Palestinian and international human rights organizations.
The Open Letter to Pope Francis is the first step in a growing campaign to educate and mobilize faith and other communities to end the abuse of Palestinian children and the occupation that oppresses them and their families.
7 things you can do, now that you’ve signed the petition:
1. Send the petition to your networks, friends, family, etc.
2. Share the press release on social media sites and with local news outlets.
3. Encourage members of your church, temple, mosque or other religious, spiritual or service groups to sign the petition to the Pope. Set up an informational table after services.Here is a sample handout: Full page version and half page version. Add an announcement to the weekly service bulletin and in your denomination’s regional listserve or e-blast. We can help! Contact: email@example.com
5. If you are a Christian, hold a Lenten study group in your church, college, or club to educate people about the situation in Palestine/Israel. Click herefor study guides.
6. Commemorate the United Nations Intnl Day of Innocent Children Victims of Aggression on June 4. Submit your ideas for mobilizing and actions firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sign up to get campaign updates and resources.